Joan Schultz Ph.D.
Registered Psychologist No. 01724
Joan has provided counselling for marriage, family and individual concerns for over 25 years. She provides guidance and support for relationship difficulties, reconstructing marriage after an affair, conflict resolution, problem-solving and parent-child relationships. Joan works with individuals who are dealing with depression, anxiety, loss, trauma recovery and/or experience with assault and abuse.
Joan’s approach depends upon the situation presented, and includes a variety of therapeutic approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, Family Therapy, EMDR and Emotionally Focused Therapy. Client strengths are emphasized with personal insight and responsibility for growth is encouraged.
Joan’s doctoral dissertation research focused on resilience factors in adversity. She received her master’s degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of Saskatchewan, followed by two years of specialized clinical training in Chicago. She is a member of the B.C. College of Psychologists and the B.C. Psychological Association.Joan enjoys teaching in community, retreat and university settings on topics related to her areas of practice and experience. Having been married for over thirty years, with four adult children, her approach to relationships and life problems is both realistic and practical.
- Proactive Preteen Parenting
- Surviving Teen “Boot Camp”
- Coaching Your Child’s Emotions
- Rules for a Happy Married Life
- What Makes a Good Marriage Good?
- A Covenant of Listening
- Dealing Positively with Life’s Negatives
- Africa: Resilience in Adversity
- Fostering Resilience: Lessons from an African perspective
- Bouncing Back From Trauma
- Moving Out of Loneliness
- Winning Your Private Battles
- The Conflict Habit
- Under-estimate Your Willpower
- Sabotaging Your Marriage 101
- The Law of Unintended Consequences
- A Lasting Relationship: Not for the Faint of Heart
- Cultivating Our Best Relationships
- 5 Tips for Successful Self-Sabotage
- The Problem with Pursuing Your Passion
- Getting to Optimum Health